Cancun, Mexico

Cancun is a great place to vacation.  We have been coming here for decades, wow I just really dated myself there.  In fact, we first came to Cancun in 1995, almost 30 years ago and it has not lost its allure yet.  When I booked that summer holiday in 1995, I had never even heard of Cancun Mexico.  Neither had anyone else in my friendship and family circle.  I had been to PV and Mazatlan, Mexico before but Saskatchewan was not familiar with Cancun.  I fell in love quickly with a few things.  I played a lot of beach volleyball so that was a good fit, I loved the beach and I have always loved the Mexican people.  The weather is perfect, warm and humid with a breeze.  I love history and the sites of the Mayan pyramids are abundant here.  I also fell in love with margaritas, the perfect cocktail.

We continued coming to Cancun and longed to own a little piece of Cancun and finally purchased a timeshare here in 2008.

The Caribbean waters are turquoise and I never get tired of gazing at the waves.  The sand is a champagne colour and it does not even stick to you. 

 

The bus system is easy to get around and it costs 12 pesos which is less than a CND dollar.  We take the bus all of the time to the grocery stores farther down the hotel corridor.  We frequent Walmart Supermercado, La Comer, Cheddraui and Soriana.  Tequila is cheap and so are the groceries.  The fresh bread and buns at any of the grocery stores are really good but any other baked goods not so much.  Anything that is imported is not cheap.  The Mexican people are not PB fans so bring your own down in your luggage.

If you are a ceviche fan, then Cancun has the best recipes for ceviche.  Puerta Vallarta area tends to have a tomato base and I prefer ceviche cooked in lime base.  El Fish Fritanga is our favorite outdoor restaurant on the Cancun strip.  It can be difficult to find as it is just down from La Isla Mall on the Lagoon side.  It is outdoors and has great ambiance.   Their Margaritas and ceviche are great too!  The picture below leads down to the restaurant.  Its rustic with nature's floor-the sand.  It use to be ridiculously cheap but all good things must come to an end.  Now, it is reasonably priced but all good taco places in Mexico become famous and begin to out-price themselves for the regular person such as myself with shallow pockets. (those who know me understand that I am of Scottish heritage)











And it would not be Mexico without a great chicken shot! The picture below was captured by my son when we went out for lunch at a local place on the lagoon.  This dude entertained us throughout lunch and neither my son nor I ordered the chicken tacos.

Every time we fly into Cancun it feels like coming home.  Perhaps I was a Mayan Princess in another life or a Spanish peasant?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting Sail to the End of Earth, Antartica on Celebrity Eclipse

Breathtaking Machu Picchu, Peru

The Unique Galapagos Islands, Ecuador